Followers

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Six


Thursday. Day four. There are no expedient pilgrims in my room this morning so I wake up late. 0701. I told Josef I'd be ready to leave at 0700. I rush to get packed while Josef waits patiently. We set off around 0730. The trek is hard on my body right out the gate. It's time to lose the boots and switch to my trail runners. Slight problem though; I have no room for them. My only option is to tie them to my pack. More weight is the last thing I need. Josef insists on putting them in his pack. I let him. He is very generous and watches over me. I'm quite certain he is with me to see me through and keep me safe, though I am concerned I'm hindering his Camino, his experience. I tell him several times he's welcome to go on without me. He doesn't.
A few kilometers later, we arrive in the hamlet Zariquiegui. We stop for coffee and a few minutes later are joined by out friends Angelo, Greg, Ina, and Aleix. It's great to see them. We chat for a bit and head out again. Throughout the day we all find each other and eventually end up at the same albergue in Puente la Reina. We spend the evening together and take in some of the sites. We go to mass after dinner and though I don't understand a word, I find peace sitting there.
Physically, the day has been challenging; my knee is not happy. But a little ice on and off seems to be helping. As the sun sets, my eyes grow heavy. My mind was still today. I was present in every moment. I suppose pain and suffering does that to a person, right? Ha! But something Angelo said earlier tonight seems profoundly important. "The Camino will change you. It changes your mind." I hope it's true.





No comments:

Post a Comment