Followers

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Getting High in Toronto

Toronto's CN Tower

Before arriving in Toronto Friday, my girlfriend Pantea asked me if I'd like to check out CN Tower. After I said, "Sure!" I Googled it; I had no idea what she was talking about. It was going to be my first time in Toronto-first time to Canada-and like so many other trips I've taken, I had done zero research. Coined as one of man's greatest wonders, the CN Tower is the tallest lightening rod in the world; its glass floor the first of its kind-a tourist must-do for thrill seekers, adventures, and romantics alike. We arrived at the tower just before sunset and looked up. "Let's do this," I said. We bought our tickets and boarded the glass elevator.

Like a ride at an amusement park, the higher we went, the faster my heart beat; the city turned panoramic in 90 seconds. Dozens of thoughts raced through my mind, none of them good, like the fact that there was nothing between me and falling to the ground except this way-too-thin piece of glass. I was suddenly queasy. When the elevator stopped, I stepped off and my knees buckled. I wanted to go back down but forced myself to stay. I can do this... I did the Camino! Surely I can do this. I shuffled to the window and glanced down; tiny hot wheels sat in traffic below while the sun fell below the horizon leaving a warm glow at the edge of the earth. It's peaceful up here, I thought.
View from CN Tower
Pantea and I walked down to the glass floor. Pantea stood on it and I backed away. There was nothing between her and the earth 1,122 feet down except that sheet of glass. This I will not do! I got on my knees, laid my phone on the glass, took a picture, then quickly backed away. I was queasy again. Wow!
Pantea Braves Glass Ceiling
Inside the tower, the 360 and Horizons restaurants are popular places to pop the question. If you want to get higher still, you can check out the view from the sky pod, the highest observation deck at 447 meters. Adrenaline junkies will definitely want to do the edge walk-356 meters high, outside, no railings, provided winds aren't too strong. Lucky for us it was too windy to go outside...

"I have officially scratched sky-diving off my bucket list," I told Pantea. "I think this offered enough adrenaline. I don't need to jump out of a plane."
Above Toronto



No comments:

Post a Comment