Followers

Friday, March 22, 2019

Shape of Sacred Space


I love mornings. But not everyone jumps out of bed invigorated, ready to take on the world. For some, mornings are drudgery. No matter how you feel about mornings, how you approach the day sets the tone for how you go through it.

Earlier this week, I met with a friend to discuss our latest writing projects. Surprisingly, neither of us had anything new to reveal. Neither of us had been able to dedicate time or energy to our craft. We both felt a bit out of sorts but we weren't sure why.

As we pulled the threads to unravel the snags in our feng shui that were inhibiting our writing processes, we began to discuss meditation and sacred rituals that right the mind. I spoke about how prolific I had been when I had hiked the Camino–how walking unlocked the ethereal floodgates for me. I also spoke about how I wasn't doing that anymore.

Then my friend shared a story about an aunt who every morning lights a candle and lays out a sentimental quilt where she sits and completes her morning ritual. Her practice struck me as ingenious not only because it was so beautiful but because the candle also served as a sort of signal to her family that she should not to be interrupted.

It was then that we had a synchronistic epiphany. The vernal equinox was upon us and we each needed to recreate our intentions and recalibrate our morning rituals to be in line with the transition from yin to yang. We took to our notebooks and began to write, creating intention, carving out our morning routines and what we wanted and needed from that sacred time.

"The Shape of Sacred Space," I wrote. I started with the physical–walking, writing, reading—then moved into the abstract: quiet time—little interaction with others. I put limitations on myself too: no social media until I am done with my sacred time. I built upon these concepts and after 10 minutes, I had laid out my new morning intention. I had also identified a few things that I needed to do before bed including when to cut off social media—it's really become an intrusive vermin.

After I had written everything down, I looked at my calendar and the litany of morning distractions heading my way. I would have to be flexible and gentle with myself as I embraced this new morning ritual. I also will be more mindful about scheduling things first thing in the morning.

Yesterday was the first day of my new practice. I completed the things for which I had set an intention: I walked for an hour. I read for 30 minutes. I wrote for 30 minutes. I drank 24 oz. of water before I had coffee. I did not touch social media until after I was done. As a result, I felt a lot less scattered and much more balanced throughout the entire day. I felt calm and peaceful. I was more present for others because I had taken that time to nurture myself. I was productive. Last night I slept well and I woke up this morning early enough to repeat my ritual before anyone else in the house was awake. Lather, rinse, repeat.

What is the shape of your sacred space?


No comments:

Post a Comment