Followers

Friday, February 13, 2015

Black Valentine

It would be so easy to just write about adventures in hiking; easy to write, easy to read, fairly superficial and "safe".  But the truth is, part of this journey of self discovery and self acceptance is writing about the stuff that sucks, like the illogical and irrational resentment I have towards Valentine's Day.

When I'm in a relationship, I couldn't care less about Valentine's Day.  The way I see it,  if I need a calendar reminder to do something nice for the person I'm with, then clearly it's a relationship I can do without.  Second, same goes the other way around.  Not to mention I prefer spontaneity.  Third, don't even get me started on obligatory professions of love and the accompanying commercialization and capitalist greed associated with making people feel guilty for not doing something sweet for their sweetheart, no pun intended.  But when I'm sans relationship, it's like a day of mourning.  Forget red and pink roses, let's just break out the black and get inked.  One hour down, 23 to go.

And then, something happens... that person you've been thinking about... that someone special reaches out and wishes you Happy Valentine's Day and all the darkness dissipates in a flash; your heart is filled with warmth and joy and in an instant, it becomes a great day.  All cynical thoughts disappear and you realize that Valentine's Day is a special day and it matters.  It's all in how you look at it, just as is everything else in life.  This 24 hours counts just as much as the next and in some ways, it's just extra special today.

To all my loved ones: Happy Valentine's Day.  May Peace, Love, Light and Sunshine find their way to you today and every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment