Followers

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Friends and Family

Friends and Family,

Several months ago, I had a spiritual epiphany and realized that I needed to change some things in my life.  I shared this with many of you.  At the time, I was not sure what that would look like, but over these past four months, certain opportunities have presented themselves.   Last September I moved into a sober living environment.   I chose to move here for several reasons;  first, I did not want to be alone and I needed to feel safe.  Second, I wanted the experience of living with other sober women.  (I have seven of the most amazing female friends and housemates a girl could ask for.)  And third, I had some soul searching to do and I needed the time and space to do it.  In other words, I decided to push the "pause" button on the highway of life, pull over, and "rest." 

The past four months have been both exhilarating and exhausting, exalting and tumultuous.  I have had moments of both intense pleasure and fierce grief; it's been a roller coaster of emotions.  It has been a time of earnest self examination and reflection.  I have leaned hard on all those around me, often unable to stand on my own two feet without the support and love of those around me to hold me up.  I have had to ask for help, a lot.  I have learned to pray.   I have shed an innumerable amount of tears since I began the journey of self acceptance that I have avoided my entire life.  I want to thank everyone who is in my life and is part of my journey.  You are all very special to me.  Each one of you has loved me, inspired me, and given me hope.  Each of you are a gift to me, and even if this email never makes it to you, I am putting these words down and sharing with Universe how important you are to me.  

Every now and then, someone or something comes along and changes the trajectory of our lives; our journey of life makes a sharp, unforeseen turn.  These are the spiritual growth opportunities that come to us, though they are often disguised in undesirable packaging and can happen in a flash; an emotional, physical, or spiritual bottom proceeded by a moment of clarity, a medical diagnosis, the loss of a loved one.  And sometimes they are brought to us by angels living among us; a kind word, a gesture of loving kindness, a connection of spiritual understanding with another being.   However they are presented, there is no doubt that these things happen for a reason- there are no coincidences.  But am I awake enough to experience them as they are happening?  Am I present enough in my own life to recognize, accept, and embrace these gifts as they are occurring in real time?  Sometimes, maybe, not always. 

Throughout my life I have heard this cliché: "It's the journey, not the destination." How easy it is for me to let this go in one ear and out the other without embracing this profound truth.  It's so easy to get wrapped up in thinking about the "fruits" of my labor that I fail to fully appreciate the "labor" itself for what it is and that today is the fruit of many yesterdays.  It's like I've been conditioned to live for the marketed highs of holidays, celebrations, and the like and that the moments in between are just mundane moments of existence that I must trudge through to get to those rare occasions of happy destiny.  Thankfully, my life is full of people who remind me on a daily basis that today is all I have.  This 24 hours is the only 24 hours that matter. 

On 24 April, the day of my 9 year anniversary in sobriety, Great Spirit willing, I will fly to Europe to embark on a spiritual pilgrimage; a 5 week, 500 mile solo backpacking trip known as the Camino de Santiago.  My reasons for going are primarily spiritual in nature and it is something I must do for and by myself (though I will not be alone, and each of you will be with me in spirit.)  Each day between now and then is one of mental, physical, and spiritual preparation that is helping me stay fully present in today.  This phase is the most critical of my journey; I consider it training for how I will go forth with the rest of my life, making each day count.  Rest assured, I have asked for expert assistance in getting ready... as we all know, there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear and preparation, in this case, is everything.  

Much Love, Light, Peace and Sunshine

Namaste, Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment