Followers

Saturday, March 21, 2015

5-500-15

For the past six months, I have found security in a twelve-by-twelve room.

Of the things I own, only the most useful have made it here; there is little I have not touched or needed since I moved.  Those things I have not used will be reassessed. It is not to say I don’t value luxury, that too has its place. It's more a question of: What level of control do my possessions have over me? Does this bring me joy or grief? Is this of use or simply taking up space, waiting for the day that will never come?

Frank LLoyd Wright and I have a lot in common; we both believe Nature is god, we love simplicity and minimalism.  Wright spent a lifetime demonstrating this through his architecture and use of space. I respect these ideals and regularly ask myself, Do I belong to the earth or does she belong to me? Is simplicity the daily state of my affairs? Am I the janitor of my possessions? What better way to test these principles than a spiritual pilgrimage: 5-500-15--five weeks, five hundred miles, fifteen pounds.

Several months ago, a friend shared with me: ‘How to Travel the World With a 20lb Backpack.’ It was inspiring and bolstered my optimism.

Preparing for the Camino de Santiago has been transformative. Determining which fifteen pounds are the right fifteen pounds is key, but the mental preparations--the right attitude, self-confidence, and trust--are paramount, as are a few dollars in the bank and a willingness to correct mid-stream. This journey is about more than just 5-500-15, it’s a shift in consciousness.

It’s amazing how little one actually needs to survive; even more so how little one needs to be happy, to be free. In fact, my happiness and freedom seem to be inversely proportionate to my material possessions, which brings me back to Wright who said, “Freedom lies within.” And somehow I think he's right.  

No comments:

Post a Comment