Followers

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Training Daze

March 2014...

“Come on, show us what you’ve got.”
“Ok, I’ll be there. What time?” I asked.
“0700.”

Intrigued by the challenge, I joined my new workout partner the next morning. I had no idea what to expect. How hard could this be? I’m in relatively good shape, naturally athletic, and heck, this guy has a few years on me. Little did I know Tiger Balm was going to be my new best friend, and hot baths with epsom salts a nightly remedy for muscles I didn’t know I had. 

We started training together five days a week. His ‘functional fitness’ routines left me slightly less than functional. There were days I could hardly walk, wash my hair, or laugh because I was so sore. It was an awakening; a very painful one. How did I get this out of shape? Each day I discovered a new body part, long untouched by exercise. Humbled, and embarrassed by my apparent out-of-shapeness, I declined a baseline body fat test. 

I’m not sure what inspired me to commence this new routine beyond donning a bikini in August, but it was something I couldn’t and wouldn’t do on my own. My partner motivated me, challenged me, and most importantly, wouldn’t let me quit. I kept going, he kept pushing, one day at a time.

By August I hadn’t lost a single pound. In fact, I had gained five pounds and went up a size. I had to buy new clothes to accommodate my expanding thighs. I was pissed. Out of sheer anger and frustration, I took the body fat test. I didn’t think I could feel any worse. I was wrong.

After I returned from the late summer sans-bikini beach trip, I made some changes to my diet and workout routine. I reduced my workout intensity, incorporated some cross-training, and increased my carb intake. I also ended a long-term relationship which proved to be the most effective and efficient way to lose weight, though not recommended. By October, I lost the five pounds I had gained and reduced my body fat by four percent. By Christmas, I was down another five pounds while my body fat held steady. It was a bloody miracle.

Here we are, a year later. Exercise has become a means to cope with life’s challenges. Spinning, yoga, and functional fitness keep me in shape, centered, and out of my head.  Long runs combat dark places. Weekend hikes are mini nature exploits to be shared with friends.

Last March, I could not have predicted I would be here today; seven months ago I had not even heard of El Camino de Santiago, three months ago I could not have conceived of taking six weeks off work.

Now, here I am, 30 days out.

I have a lot of partners to thank for getting me here, most especially my workout partner. Without his willingness, commitment, and perseverance- without all the training days I didn’t know were training days- I would not be able to take advantage of this opportunity, nor would I be prepared physically, mentally, or spiritually for this amazing adventure.  So here’s to you H - you’ll be with me every step of the way. Thank you.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment