Followers

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Off Kilter and Okay

I went on Camino to change my life and it's changing. NOW!

At the end of June I landed my dream job working as a writer... at least that's what my job title says. I know a few writers, published authors whose prose drips like poetry from your lips when you read their words. I am not in their league. Not even close. I am humbled and honored to have "writer" in my signature line but it's a title that should be earned, not given, and I haven't earned it yet. I have a lot to learn and hope I can live up to the expectations that anyone should have of a good writer. I have to trust I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be and everything will work out as it's meant to.

New jobs mean learning new things, having new experiences, working with new people, having a new commute, etcetera. I like change; it's an opportunity to do life differently. But change isn't easy, even for me, and nothing that's worth it, is easy. Right now, my life is completely discombobulated-as it should be. Transitioning into a new life rhythm takes work, time and energy and sometimes, old norms cannot be maintained.

Time is my most precious commodity and right now I seem to have little of it. It's all about balance and right now I have none. Sometimes that's how life is: unbalanced, off kilter, crazy-making. All I can do is suit up, show up, and keep walking. I once heard someone say, "I know what balance is, it's that thing I pass by when I'm going from one extreme to another." I can relate to that right now.

Life is messy and brilliant. It's progress not perfection, one day at a time. I have to remember that everyday. My German friend Thomas reminded me repeatedly on the Camino, "Slowly." He's right. I need to slow down, be gentle with myself and breathe. Don't forget to breathe...

No comments:

Post a Comment