Followers

Monday, August 3, 2015

San Francisco Bay Area Reflections

De Anza College Pool
No matter how much some things change, our past emotions, memories, and experiences remain the same. Our perceptions and how we interpret those things long ago past are however, always up for negotiation. There is little in Cupertino that hasn't been touched in the 23 years since I lived here. Landmarks that once guided me have vanished; only vague memories exist in my mind. Street names familiar, everything else new. My sense of where I am turned on its head. Sunday morning I walked down memory lane, attempting to get my bearings. A flood of memories and flashbacks overwhelmed me. I remembered people and experiences I'd long forgotten; the best of times resurfaced.

De Anza College. The Spanish-influenced campus has grown but at the core, it is still the same. It's rustic, organic and natural with a touch of modernism that doesn't detract. The air is a fragrant mixture of redwood and oak trees, plants, flowers, and pines. I walked first to the pool where I spent countless hours for years of my life. Swim practices, teammates and coaches flooded my mind; we were west coast champions in 1992. I thought about my college boyfriend, Paul, and wondered what he's been up to these past years. The main quad looks nearly the same-the giant fountain empty because of the drought. I remembered meeting so many friends here and wondered where they'd all gone. I walked over to the Middle College offices, just to feel close to Marty and Vern, my old teachers, even if only in spirit. So many of us have shared our lives here and yet I have not thought of these things in two decades.
De Anza College Quad
I drove past Monta Vista High School to Montebello Road, turned up the mountain, and was overwhelmed with emotion. It is beautiful here. I remembered my first motorcycle rides through these mountains and nights drinking and partying with friends. I remembered Scott, my first high school boyfriend who lived not far from here and countless others I'd not thought of since my teenage years.
Up the Mountain
It was a cool morning. Fog rolled over the South Bay as I made my way up the mountain. The views were spectacular aside from the nearly empty reservoir-the drought making water conservation the number one thing on people's minds. (That hasn't changed.) I passed numerous cyclists climbing the mountain as I listen to morning acoustics and drank Philz Coffee. It was a perfect way to start an even better day. Tremendous peace filled my soul.
Fog Hangs Over the South Bay
I am so grateful to have grown up in such a magnificent place; Mother Nature at my fingertips, conservation at the forefront, and a keen understanding that I am just a guest on this planet and must treat her with lovingkindness and respect. This is where I grew up. These are the memories I cherish.
Mountain Views

Fog Slipping in
Mountain Flower

No comments:

Post a Comment