Followers

Monday, January 25, 2016

Binge Blogging Beats Blizzard Blues

Everyone in Washington D.C., is sick to death of winter storm Jonas. People are still digging out and they don't want to hear anything more about the blizzard or see anymore pictures on Facebook. To get an eyeful, all they have to do is look out their windows.
Winter Wonderland
This storm, like every other storm of any significance, teaches us about one very important aspect of lives that many of us haven't mastered: being idol. Last summer I wrote a blog called Permission to Idle. Perhaps you remember it, or maybe you don't. (Perhaps at this point cabin fever has made homicide sound reasonable.) The point is, we Washingtonians are humans doing instead of humans being. Productivity drives us as if we will be forever branded with #fail across our foreheads if we don't produce, produce, produce. It's an art that I haven't mastered, as evidenced by my last binge blogging affair, but I am getting better.
Idler Academy
Instead of being paralyzed by the snow, which by all accounts is absolutely gorgeous, it's given me time to be still, reflect, and write about my recent trip to Germany. It's been time spent writing that I otherwise would not have had, and for that I'm grateful. In between thoughts and reflections, I played in the snow, dug out my car, and used a snowblower for my first time to help clear the street. It was a lot of fun and it was nice to be outside. Still, I haven't found it necessary to get in my car and go anywhere for the past four days––a true sign of progress.
Post-snowblower Action
The streets should be cleared well enough by tomorrow for the government to reopen and for commuters to have a safe drive into work, and if that happens, I will be mentally prepared to return. But, if the government stays closed tomorrow, I'm okay with that too. Whatever. Life is an unpredictable journey and I'll take the adventure any which way it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment