Followers

Monday, January 25, 2016

New Year's Day in Berlin––A Modern Affair

After walking through the catacomb-like Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, I was tapped out. Not only was I freezing, I'd finally reached historic saturation––a zone I never thought I could achieve––and it was only 10 a.m. I trekked along Eberstrasse which edged the Tiergarten, turned passed the US Embassy, and popped into the Starbucks near the Brandenburg Gate. I usually avoid American hot spots when I travel abroad, but for some reason in Berlin it felt like the right thing to do. I was remarkably comfortable there, 'als ob auch ich war ein Berliner.' Hot chai tea latte in hand, I was ready to take in the modern sites, which I had up until this point, been saving like dessert. I stepped out of the cafe and was greeted by a crowd of runners racing down Unter den Linden, country flags in hand, welcoming in the New Year. We cheered them on as they passed, and I was ecstatic at the sight of the American flag. I absorbed their energy and enthusiasm and continued to brave the cold in what was to be the coldest day of my journey. 
New Year's Day Race
At the intersection of past and present is Berlin's Potsdamer Platz. Totally annihilated during World War II, it was a desolate place during the Cold War, divided by the Berlin Wall. Today it is undergoing a brilliant, well thought out revitalization effort. This area unites what once was with what is and what has yet to come––evidence that understanding history is essential for peace and progress. Here, sections of the Berlin Wall remind everyone of the divisions that once separated friends, families, and loved ones. In between the segments, large spaces represent the freedom that goes hand in hand with democracy. Nearby, modern buildings elicit hope for the future.
Peace Now at Potsdamer Platz
Sections of the Berlin Wall Tell the Story
Red Bricks Throughout Berlin Demarcate Where the Wall Once Stood
Near the Berlin Wall at Potsdamer Platz is the must see Sony Center. Considered one of the most architecturally ambitious, interesting buildings in all of Berlin, the Sony Center is one of Berlin's most popular social spots with its many restaurants, shops, and movie theater.

Entering the Sony Center
Sony Center Restaurant
Inside the Sony Center
Sony Center Cupola
Along the River Spree and throughout all of Berlin, the Germans do a phenomenal job of integrating historic and modern architecture. A feat unto itself, the eclectic mix and collaboration of styles is purposeful, well designed, thoughtful, and eye appealing. What's more, it sends a message that history, no matter how tragic at times, cannot be undone and should be embraced, if for no other reason than to learn from it and avoid making the same mistakes in the future. It is the whole of one's history that makes Berlin, and the rest of the Germany, such a wondrous place to visit.

I spent my final hours in Germany shopping on Berlin's Unter den Linden, making my way back to Alexanderplatz just before dark. I took the M4 to the stop at Antonplatz and spent the evening with Gregor and Anton. Early the next morning, I said my goodbyes, taxied to the Berlin airport, and returned to the States. Serendipitously, I watched Bridge of Spies and The People vs. Fritz Bauer on the return flight.
Modern Buildings Surround the Reichstag Along the River Spree.
New Government Building Adjacent the Reichstag
Haus der Kulturen der Welt - House of World Cultures in the Tiergarten
Architectural Integration at the Harnack House in West Berlin
Modern Buildings Along Berlin's River Spree
TV Tower in Alexanderplatz

No comments:

Post a Comment