Followers

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Travel Zen

Did you know that only 30 percent of Americans have a passport? That means at least 70 percent of Americans never leave this country. Traveling is a wonderful way to open your heart and mind to experiences that you will never have in your own country; it alters the lens through which you view life. I believe that understanding (or at least observing) other cultures and how other people live is not a luxury, it is a necessity if we endeavor to progress as a society. Increased globalization through technology has not made us more globally minded, I would argue it has made us less so; we have become more reliant on technology to tell us what we need to know, and less willing to investigate, understand, and experience it for ourselves. Exposure to other ways of life is an investment in self, and what we bring back enhances our communities. Let's face it, you can't progress in a vacuum.
Thanksgiving in Canada 2015
I've been thinking a lot lately about why traveling is so important to some and less so for others. A few really interesting articles have been written on this topic lately. One article suggests that there may be a genetic component in our DNA that makes exploration an inherent part of our nature. I'm fairly inclined to believe this; almost everyone in my immediate family is an extreme traveler. While I couldn't begin to compete with my brother, his fiancee, or even my mom in a passport stamp competition, I do my best to get out and see the world.
My Brother and I in London, 2009
The US is a massive country with only two neighbors––a benefit in terms of border protection and national security, but, through situational circumstance, it contributes to isolationism. This vast country of ours was founded on pioneering and exploration; it is in our roots. There is a lot of history within our own borders and every region offers a unique perspective on life. I've been fortunate enough to live in every region of our country––nine different states––and have visited all but two: Minnesota and Wisconsin. Traveling within the US is a great place to start if you're new to traveling and exploration.
Mt. Hood, Oregon, 2014
Taking things a step further, getting outside the borders, is mind altering. I was 15 years old when I went to Mexico and I'll never forget seeing police officers walking the beaches with automatic rifles and women and children washing their clothes in the rivers. It was a profound awakening––witnessing the policing and poverty, a sickening juxtaposition with the ridiculous wealth that lined the touristy coastline. I remember feeling ashamed and at the same time grateful––it was a confusing experience and one I will never forget. It also fed my political leanings, as did the adversity I faced growing up. I think this could be said of most people––that what we think and believe is primarily shaped by our life experiences before our 18th birthday. But life doesn't stop at 18. In fact, it's just getting started. Eighteen is when taking ownership of our life experiences really begins to count.
Me, Buddha, and Che Guevara
My plunge into traveling got started when I joined the military. I was 23. I wanted to see the world and while serving I was able to get to some hard to reach places like Antarctica, the Arctic Circle, Australia, and Tasmania. During those trips to the poles I witnessed first hand the effects of climate change: polar bears swimming unbelievable distances for food; microorganisms becoming extinct; changes in underwater currents negatively impacting the food chain. Climate change is happening right here, right now, and I have seen it with my own eyes. People and politicians can argue all they want about why it's happening, but to deny it altogether is scientifically incorrect.
Outdoor Survival School, Antarctica, 2001
One of the most pivotal travel experiences of my life was when I spent three weeks in Malawi, Africa visiting my brother who was living there at the time. I was moved by the gentle nature of all the people I met. Most were living in abject poverty with little food or money and minimal access to medical care, but their smiles were breathtaking and their kindhearted ways were evocative. Muslims and Christians lived harmoniously in villages. With little in the way of modern conveniences, the country was devoid of the on-going background noise we cannot escape in the US. During the day, the only sounds I heard were those of animals, birds, and children singing. When I returned to the States it was a total culture shock. I felt assaulted at US Customs––the noise was abrasive and bordering on abusive. The food turned my insides out because my system had been cleansed from eating nothing but organic food for the past three weeks––they don't have preservatives or processed food in Malawi. I also, for the first time in my life, saw the benefits of capitalism as a means of production and developed an appreciation for innovation; I had a profound gratitude for modern conveniences such as washing machines and coffee makers. While this did not dissuade me from my left leaning tendencies, they became a little less hard-core.
School Children in Malawi, 2011
Traveling doesn't have to be expensive or complicated, so don't let money stand in your way. For young people in Europe, traveling is a right of passage––it's something many people do before they go to college. Americans usually don't, and those who do, often have parents who pay their way. While I was in Australia I met a lot of 18 to 20-year-olds working their way around the world. Seeing the world was paramount to their process of self discovery and career determination, and having their parents pay for it would have robbed them of that.
Three Siblings in Alaska, 2003
One of the most important articles I have ever read with respect to traveling is How to Travel the World With Just A 20lb Backpack. Traveling with just a rucksack, though not for everyone, is a means of self discovery in and of itself, as I realized during my hiking trip across Spain last spring. During my pilgrimage I learned that a 12 pound backpack was sufficient. But if traveling with just a knapsack or working your way around the world doesn't sound appealing, other options such as airbnb, HomeExchange, and Couchsurfing have become mainstream. These travel options are a means to meet new people, stay with locals, and explore the world on a budget. Then there is always staying with friends and family which is a good reason to maintain and nurture relationships. ;-)
Hiking the Camino de Santiago, 2015
The BBC recently published 50 Reasons to #LoveTheWorld. Whatever your reasons are, there is little doubt that traveling abroad, having new experiences, and meeting new people changes you. It gives you a chance to do life a little bit differently, even if only for a short period of time. It recharges your batteries, stimulates your mind, and feeds your soul. Even if you have children, life doesn't have to stop. While I was hiking the Camino, a Canadian couple trekked the entire 500 miles with their nine month old baby, Oscar, probably the youngest pilgrim to ever earn a Compostela. They inspired me and have left me with no excuses. Five continents down, two to go!
9-Month-Old Oscar with Dad on the Camino de Santiago, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment