Followers

Friday, May 29, 2015

A Peregrino's First Reflections at Santiago de Compostela

Santiago de Compostela. A goal. A destination. An ending. A beginning. A coming together of souls who've sought together, fought together, and finished together. It is here that one Camino ends and another begins. 

When I began this journey I decided to share my experience, strength, and hope in a very public way through this blog. The Camino has been as much a shared experience as a private one. As I think back on the realities of pilgrimhood there are the things that come to the forefront of my mind both literally and metaphorically that I want to share.

1. Minimalism. Carry only what I need. Know when to let go and if I'm unsure, ask for help. It's ok to drop the rock. If I drop the rock and need one later, there are plenty of others I can find along The Way. When I carry more than I need, I get hurt. 

2. Sharing. Share what I have. Allow others to share with me. Honor and trust this free exchange-no strings attached. 

3. Simplicity. Walk. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. Things work themselves out when I get out of my own way, keep my head where my feet are, and keep it simple. 

4. Love, Honor, & Respect the Earth. I am part of a collective whole; I belong to the Earth, it does not belong to me. When Mother Nature is my center, life makes a lot more sense. 

5. Humanity. When I walk, endure, and celebrate with my fellow pilgrims we become something more; there is an understanding between us that breaks down artifical boundaries and unites us as members of the human race. 

6. Friendship. I arrived alone and will leave alone, but I am not alone. Bonds made on the Camino-the journey of life-will not be broken. 

7. Laughter. Welcome back. 

8. Appreciation for: Everything and everyone. Myself. My health. My friends and loved ones. Fresh air. Clean water to drink. Food. A safe place to lie my head at night. A warm shelter. A warm bed. Running water. Hot running water. Toothbrush and toothpaste. Soap. Towels. Sun cream. Hats. Clothes. 

9. No Stress. Santiago will be there when I get there. The turtle always finishes. Go slowly. My pace is my choice. Multitasking is not the only way; do one thing and do it well...or at least well enough. Siesta exists.

10. Let go and trust The Way. Go with the flow. Deal with what's at my feet in this moment, not what may be twenty feet ahead lest I may get tripped up.

11. Follow my Bliss.

12. Self-Trust. Listen to my body. Listen to my gut. Listen to my friends. Spend less time in my monkey mind and trust what I'm being told by those who love me, including and above all my body, heart, and soul.

More will be revealed...





No comments:

Post a Comment