Followers

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Falling In Love With Espagne


Today I fell in love with Spain. We departed our albergue in Estella at 0630 this morning, dawn breaking; pink and orange streaks splashed against blue sky. At the edge of town, a fountain of wine for all to partake.
The countryside between Estella and Torres del Rio was the most enchanting and stunning I've seen anywhere in the world. Never have my eyes set upon such verdant fields with such glorious flowers; the hills of wheat danced in the gentle breeze; blooms of yellow, purple, and red lined the Camino. Each moment it was as if I was living in a painting; I sauntered through this fairytale not wanting it to ever end. Renoir, Van Gogh, Wyeth, all would have stayed forever had they come here.
A horseback rider and his boarder collie passed us. Shortly thereafter we met up with them at a road side cafe and enjoyed cappuccinos in this dreamlike place. 



We arrived in Los Arcos and joined our Camino clan. Ina and Aleix were waiting for us. Gregor followed, and eventually Pierre. It was a joyous reunion though not without pain and suffering; Gregor and I are having physical challenges every step of the way, literally. Ice, medication, and sports cream are the order of the day for the two of us. Our knees, his hand. We're a hot mess but not willing to quit.  We've made it this far and must press on.
Joseph and I departed to conquer another seven kilometers but not before we said a tear-filled goodbye to Ina, Aleix, and Gregor for what could be the last time. We aren't sure we'll meet again along the way because we may outpace them. The trek is growing difficult for Gregor, but he remains in good spirits. I will miss them.

The road between Los Arcos and Terre del Rio is mostly paved and hard on my joints. My mind is on the three we left behind and my heart fills with great sadness. In such a short time I feel like they are family, a part of me now that I'm not ready to live without. Perhaps I will be able to convince Josef to rest a day so they can catch up to us.

We arrived in Torres del Rio after what felt like the longest seven kilometers ever. Now my left ankle is hurting too, probably a result of my gimp knee. Pain and suffering. We climbed the final hill and there before us was none other than Angelo! We shout his name, "Angelo!!!" I am so happy to see him and to be at our final resting place. Thank God. 

We check in and go through our routine: shower, laundry, coffee, journaling.  Dinner will be at 1900. In bed by 2200. After my shower a German woman whom we've been trekking with informs me that Ina, Aleix, and Gregor are on their way. "Here?" I ask. "Ya, Angelo pushed for them." She tells me. I am thrilled! I am so happy I will see than again. Not long afterwards we are all together again. Recovering from a hard day's journey. 

My last thought for today: Last night my bunkmate was an Italian man from Rome. He said to me, "Those who come to find God, find themselves. Those who come to find themselves, find God."

No comments:

Post a Comment