Followers

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Follow Your Bliss

13 May


Today I met Don on The Way. He is 83 years young.  I was barely able to keep up with him; he was solid in stride, kept a good pace. We trekked 26.6 kilometers in roughly six and a half hours with two quick stops for coffee. He intends to backpack all over Europe when he finishes the Camino. We spoke of many things during our walk; it was one of the more thought provoking connections I've made with another American since I started this journey. We talked of love, relationships, and the challenges of finding a life partner as you grow older. Don, a widower, was married for 38 years before his wife passed away. I shared many important and personal things with this man, mostly of heartbreak and love gone wrong, but also of successes along the way. He imparted some important wisdom-though he gives credit to Joseph Campbell, author, professor, and expert in mythology-"Follow Your Bliss," he said, "and the rest will work itself out." Somehow I trust that this is wisdom I should follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment