Followers

Monday, May 11, 2015

The Stinky Pilgrim


Lightening my load has become a serious affair. After Logrono, there was little room for error. The life of a pilgrim is one of minimalism; carrying only what you absolutely need. But for this pilgrim it has become rather comedic. The first thing I lost along the way was my favorite green and orange wool beenie. You've all seen the one I'm talking about. This caused great despair as I was quite attached to it. Some pilgrim somewhere is now very lucky to have my North Face hat. The second thing I lost was my power converter. Another pilgrim unplugged my phone from the outlet sans the converter and I didn't notice until later that evening when I attempted to plug in my phone. Shit. Now this is a problem because I've become reliant on other pilgrims for their "power station" as it seems to be called here. (Thanks Josef.) But today was far and away the biggest pickle I've gotten into. After a twenty-five kilometer walk I couldn't wait to take a shower and change my clothes. There is nothing better than getting the smell of pilgrim off my body. But when I pulled out my clean clothes to change into, I discovered I left my pants hanging on the washline twenty-five kilometers back in Castrojeriz. Awesome. Now this pilgrim has one pair of pants and of course this town has no shops to buy clothes. Yay me, the stinky birthday pilgrim. I've been wondering how I might wash these pants later. Perhaps an after dark reconnaissance mission in my panties to the wash sink, but then what? My pants aren't going to dry by morning. So for now I am Dani Stinkypants. Perhaps I'm not cut out for solo pilgrim life...

Today's walk was rather nice despite this afternoon's misadventure. Walking through fields of wild poppies under blue skies is a pleasant affair. It was a rather hot day; tomorrow's is supposed to be cooler so I've heard. I miss my friends but the time alone has been good despite the stench. 
The Last Sighting of my North Face Hat










No comments:

Post a Comment