Followers

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Leaving Leon...


Some days are harder than others be it physically, mentally, or both. Today was one of the hard days both mentally and physically. I departed Leon with the intention of taking the bus to Astorga but decided to walk the short twenty kilometers instead. I had heard that if there was any time to take a rest day and skip a section of the Camino it was leaving Leon. Well, they were right.
 
Leaving Leon behind was like saying good bye to your lover to spend a day at the DMV; it was not a pleasant afternoon. On the way out of town I passed by the Hostal San Marcos Parador (photo below) and then stopped in a very cool Colonial Afrika bar in Trabajo del Camino, but that's where the cool stuff ended.

Given that I was walking very much alone, the day was growing exponentially hotter, and I was having issues with my own body, I opted to take the shorter path along the highway. This seemed the prudent thing to do as I was getting off to a rather late start (I slept in. Most pilgrim days you're up and out by 0700 and checking into a hostel around 1200 or 1300. I left Leon around 1100.) I wanted to be able to get to the road for help if I needed it and not be the last pilgrim stranded on a desolate path. The path was flat, hard, boring; I barely made it into Villadangos del Paramo. For the first day in weeks my knee was doing fine, but my right quad was ceasing up, cramping, and I was struggling to push through. What the hell? Never in my life has my body given up on me, not like this. I suspect my shitty pilgrim diet is the root cause. 

For the first time on the Camino I felt genuinely scared. I stopped at the first hostel I came to at the edge of Villadangos. The parking lot was filled with truckers-not a pleasing sign. I walked into the very smoky bar, turned around, and walked out. I got a bad vibe; there was no way in hell I was staying there. My leg was cramping terribly but I decided I'd cut it off before staying there. I forced myself to keep going. I stopped at another hostel. It seemed nice enough but I was still not in the right place: too far from food, too far from town, and not another peregrino in sight. The barista said it was another ten minute walk to town. I sucked down my cafe con leche and kept going. Finally, the municipal albergue.
Please have beds. Please have beds. That's all I could think with my last steps. Upon arrival I learned that I was one of the first to arrive here; it was 1630. There were plenty of beds and I virtually had the place to myself. I felt relieved and utterly frightened at the same time. I've grown quite concerned about my body's ability to carry on with the Camino. I showered, washed and hung my clothes, and checked my e-mail. 

I feel very much alone now. I am a day ahead of all the pilgrims I know. There are only two familiars here; a set of twin teenage girls from Europe. We had a short conversation-they speak English-and they gave me directions to the supermarket. All I want is fruit and yogurt. I feel like I'm literally dying. My leg is bruising and I know it's from lack of nutrition, not from any bar brawl I've been in. This is truly frightening and certainly isn't normal. I miss my friends and especially Josef, the great healer. At the very least, if he were here, I wouldn't feel as scared as I do in this moment.  I'm thinking that seeing a doctor might be a good idea but I will decide tomorrow. There is nothing I can do about it now. 

For now I'm just going to relax, bask in the smell of Tiger Balm, and talk to the Russian guy in the bed next to mine. Time to make new friends...


No comments:

Post a Comment